Adult Education Committee
Chair: Michael Fischer
The Adult Education Committee at Congregation B’nai Tikvah is dedicated to providing a wide variety of lifelong Jewish learning opportunities to members and the broader community. These programs are conducted in partnership with our clergy, other committees of our congregation, our neighboring faith communities, and Jewish educational and cultural organizations throughout the Bay Area. Some examples of types of programs we offer include:
- Lay-led Torah study on Shabbat mornings
- An occasional “tisch” by our Rabbi after Shabbat morning minyans to discuss topics from our sacred texts
- A Mussar group, which meets monthly (usually the third Sunday at 11 am), and is engaged in a variety of contemplative practices and text study to strengthen our soul traits
- Programs in cooperation with Lehrhaus Judaica, such as “Walking in the Valley of the Shadow of Death,” a program dealing with end of life issues in a Jewish context
- Lunch-time learning with our Cantor
- Interfaith education programs in cooperation with the Interfaith Council of Contra Costa County
- “The Jewish Night of Why,” a fun way to learn about why we Jews practice as we do.
In the future, we hope to expand our programs to include Jewish cultural education programs, a scholar in residence program, and family learning in cooperation with our religious school. We also maintain a group on Facebook, called Learning at B’nai Tikvah, that provides opportunities for our members to share information about online resources and learning events in the community.